- Owner/Principal Consultant, ML Whalen Consulting, 2015 – Present
- Manager of Impact Measurement, Thrive Washington, 2014-2015
- Data Manager, Launch (formerly CDSA), 2013-2014
- Program Analyst, Seattle Goodwill Industries Job Training & Education Program, 2009-2012
- Instructor Washington State University, Department of Sociology, 2004-2008
- Research Assistant Washington State University, Department of Sociology, 2003-2004
- Building Manager Washington State University, Compton Union Building, 2001-2004
- M.A. in Sociology, Washington State University, 2009
- B.A. in Women’s Studies, magna cum laude, Washington State University, 2004
Areas of Research Expertise
- Produced and presented research and evaluation reports for a wide variety of audiences including funders, board members, organization leadership, partner agencies and program staff.
- Contributed to a number of evaluation projects including the evaluations of the Washington State Early Achievers Program and Tribal MIECHV.
- Translated complex data into accessible visualizations using MS Excel and Tableau.
- Conducted community needs assessments and mapped findings using GIS software and Tableau.
- Applied academic rigor to projects, beginning each with a thorough literature review in order to understand the landscape prior to making methodological and analytic decisions.
- Followed trends in non-profit program evaluation methods and reporting.
- Partnered with direct service staff to design efficient data systems that balanced evaluation needs with staff workload.
- Created and refined existing staff positions to eliminate gaps in data collection and quality control systems.
- Supervised staff members involved in data collection and reporting.
- Primary point person for communication and cooperation with a variety of partner organizations including Washington State Department of Learning and Department of Health.
- Built a partnership with the Public Sociology Graduate Program at Humboldt State University allowing for a low-cost evaluation of a community-based program in Yakima.
- Established a strong professional network of public sector professionals in King County.